1) Grasslands are found in ever continent except for
2) What is the average rainfall per year (in inches)?
3) Grasslands are often located between?
A) deserts and forests
B) oceans and water falls
C) Post office and Mall
D) Volcano and cloud
4) Many grasslands do not undergo…
D) ecological succession
5) True or False. The two types of grasslands are Tropical Island and Temperature Forest.
6) True or False. The soil of the temperate grasslands is deep and dark.
7) True or False. Grasses vary in size from 7 feet tall with roots extending down into the soil 6 feet, to the short grasses growing to a height of only 8 to 10 inches tall.
8) True or False. No other habitat is as agriculturally useful to humans as grasslands.
9) A threat to grassland is ________________.
10) A solution for grassland threats are ______________________.
The Prairie-Dog is watching you!
1) C 2) B 3) A 4) D 5) False 6) True 7) True 8) True
9) * Continued global warming could turn current marginal grasslands into deserts as rainfall patterns change.
* Land once incompatible with row-crop agriculture, but which provided a living to ranching families and habitat for prairie wildlife, is being converted to row crops.
* Development of urban areas is increasingly cutting into grassland habitat.
* Drought-hardy, cold-resistant, and herbicide-tolerant varieties of soybeans, wheat, and corn allow crops to expand into native grassland.
* Where only one crop is grown, pests and disease can spread easily, creating the need for potentially toxic pesticides
10)* Continue education efforts on how to protect the soil and prevent soil erosion.
* Protect and restore wetlands, which are an important part of grassland ecology.
* Rotate agricultural crops to prevent the sapping of nutrients.
* Plant trees as windbreaks.
* Conduct dry season burning to obtain fresh growth and to restore calcium to the soil that builds up in the dry grasses.
Miller, Kenneth R. and Joseph Levine. Biology. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1993.